Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wake Forest




Disclaimer: I visited Wake during a break time between the ending of finals and graduation so there weren't too many students around, but I did my best.

Best place to eat on campus:
The students I was able to talk to told me that that dining options at the Benson Student Union were the best. They have Pizza Hut, Shorty's, and various other types of food. I wasn't able to get in and sample the wares, but I feel confident recommending it since every student put it on their list.

Best place to eat off campus:
There are few places in the immediate area around the campus but there seemed to be enough places around that all appetites can be met. I saw an IHOP, a Chinese buffet, an Italian restaurant (all in the same strip mall!) and a good looking sandwich place that I tried to go to but was closed. I opted to try a place called Putter's for two reasons, A) it is across the street from the basketball arena and just down the road from the football stadium, and B) I had a 10% off my meal coupon. The food was OK but probably wouldn't have been worth it if I hadn't had my coupon. I would recommend branching out and trying to find someplace that I couldn't because chances are it will be better.

Best bars:
I had been told to visit three different bars by people in the wake forest area, the Burke Street Pub, 6Th and vine, and foothills. I couldn't find Burke street, 6Th and vine was closed by the time I went by at 11:30. So I am recommending foothills the bar to visit when visiting wake. They offer a wide variety of beers and even brew their own so you can drink the ale of the locals. The bar itself is very nice and comfortable, giving me a nice place to relax, have a drink, and watch basketball.

Athletic venues:
Lawrence Joel Coliseum (basketball) and BB & T field (football) are both located just off campus but close enough that anyone determined to could walk without needing to stop for too many breathers. The football stadium was undergoing a renovation while I was there, but from what I could see it is going to be a really nice, modern stadium that won't lose the small intimate atmosphere it now provides. I couldn't get into the basketball arena because they were setting up for a concert (3 dog night was there the next day, what a cruel twist of fate) but the outside looked nice, with ample parking.

My favorite stadium was Gene Hooks Stadium which is where the baseball team called home. I liked that it was tucked away on the campus and that it had trees lining the outfield fence. Walking around it I felt like I was in a baby Wrigley field, and then I looked it up online and found out that they will no longer be playing games there and will be moving to Ernie Shore Field starting 2009. So if you can go and check out this little stadium tucked up in a nook just above faculty dr. it really is a cool stadium.


Other activities:
Winston-Salem is home to the Warthogs which is a single A affiliate of the Chicago white sox so I would suggest trying to catch one of their games if your schedule works out. Plus they already play at Ernie Shore Field so you can catch a glimpse of the future home of the demon deacons baseball team. Aside from that I couldn't really find much to do in around town, there was a convention center, but they were hosting a boy scouts of america convention and I didn't want to end up on to catch a predator so I didn't poke my head in.

Miscellaneous:
I know it seems like I am making wake out to see like it's no fun, but I am going to take responsibility and blame myself for just coming to visit at a bad time. As far as the campus itself goes, the place could not be nicer. I really liked the Polo residence halls that overlooked the soccer practice fields, they seemed to offer nice housing right on campus. I also really liked that there were plenty of places to grill on campus and lots of benches or tables to sit at and enjoy the outdoors.

No comments: